The cat is king. Did you know that the cat is the most popular pet in the country? (86 million cats versus 78 million dogs in the US) Here at Country Hills Pet Hospital, we are committed to ensuring that your cat gets the best care, whether it is a routine checkup or a special visit. To further our dedication, our clinic recently implemented the Cat Friendly Practice (CFP) program to make veterinary visits more cat-friendly and to help our feline pet owners feel more at ease with each visit as well!
The American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) pioneered the CFP program to provide a positive practice environment for cats, including medical care that supports the cat’s unique needs and knowledgeable staff members who understand feline-friendly handling. “The AAFP realizes that cats present unique challenges before, during, and after a veterinary visit,” said Dr. Susan Little, DVM, DABVP (Feline) & President, American Association of Feline Practitioners. “Some things that can cause a cat anxiety include aversion to carriers, sensitivity to new sights and smells, and the added stress of an unfamiliar location or experience. Understanding these obstacles helped to shape the CFP program and its dedication to putting the needs of cats first.”
Fun Feline Facts to consider:
• Almost twice as many cats than dogs never visit the veterinarian
• 58% of cat caregivers report that their cat hates going to the veterinarian
• 38% of cat caregivers report that they get stressed just thinking about bringing their cat to the veterinarian.
• 56% of cat caregivers would have brought their cat to the vet more often had they known it could have helped to prevent problems.
• Stress is one of the top reasons caregivers do not bring their cats to the veterinarian’s office.
• Preventive care examinations, or check-ups, for all cats should occur a minimum of once yearly, and more frequently for senior cats and those with chronic conditions.
Now at our CFP-designated clinic, your cat no longer has to wait in the lobby for an appointment but is assigned its own feline-sensitive examination room equipped with Feliway pheromones. No more noisy or unfamiliar dogs to escalate your cat’s anxiety upon arrival! Our staff members also approach cat care in a different manner by understanding the needs of the cat such as how to interpret a cat’s facial expression, body language, and how to handle cats in a gentle, sensitive, and caring manner.
Visiting a Cat Friendly Practice®, like Country Hills Pet Hospital, can provide lifelong benefits for your cat. Call us today to set up a feline wellness appointment and as an added bonus for your pet’s health, ask about our Petly Plans for complete preventative care!
For more information about getting your cat to the vet and what a cat friendly practice means to you and your pet, please read Dr. Winske's February Feline Friendly Newsletter!